Austin Utilities is pleased to announce Partners in Planting program.
YOU can receive a $10 rebate when planting a tree from our Qualified Tree List!
We want to partner with YOU to plant trees all over Austin!
When you purchase a tree listed on our Qualified Tree List - from one of our partner nurseries; Berg's Nursery, Dolans Landscape Center, or Stiver's Nursery and Landscaping, you can receive a $10 rebate on your purchase. Our qualified Tree List includes trees that are well suited for the area to ensure you get the best return on your investment.
Rebate forms are available at our partnering nurseries or download one here. Be sure to fill your rebate form out completely and include a copy of your itemized receipt when submitting.
Why is Austin Utilities forming so many partnerships to "green-up" Austin? According to the U.S. Department of Energy, carefully positioned trees can save up to 25% of a household's energy consumption for heating and cooling. The net cooling effect of a young, healthy tree is equivalent to ten room-size air conditioners operating 20 hours per day.
Not only that, trees clean the environment. One acre of trees provides enough oxygen for 18 people for one year and absorbs as much CO2 as a car produces by driving 26,000 miles.
Follow these basic tree-planting rules and you will save energy and money on your utility bill –
Plant deciduous (leaf-shedding) trees on the south and west sides of your home and:
- provide energy saving shade and save on your utility bill.
- reduce the demand on your air-conditioning system in summer months.
- allow sunshine to warm your home during winter months.
Plant evergreen trees on the north and west sides of your home and:
- create a windbreak that blocks cold winter winds
- save energy and money on your heating bill
- ease the load on your home heating system.
Before you plant remember to:
- talk to a partner nursery professional for planting location help
- call before you dig! Gopher State One-Call (800) 252-1166
- avoid placing trees under power lines.
For more information, you may contact an Austin Utilities Energy Services Consultant at 433-8886.
Qualified Tree List
Partners in Planting Rebate Form